You can prepare this apple flan recipe the night before a dinner party, delicious both served chilled or warm with a generous scoop of ice cream
You will need
- Bramley apples 6 medium, peeled and cored
- Demerara sugar 150g, plus 1 tbsp to sprinkle
- Lemons zest and juice of 2
- Shortcrust pastry 375g
- Egg 1 medium, beaten
- Butter 25g, melted
- Apricot jam 8 tbsp
- Water 4 tbsp
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°c/gas 6. Chop 4 of the apples into small pieces. Put into a pan, add the sugar, lemon zest and juice. Bring to the boil. Cook slowly until it’s a chunky puree.
- Roll out the pastry and use to line a 24cm fluted flan tin. Prick with a fork and line with baking paper and baking beans or rice. Blind bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, brush the flan base with some egg and bake for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the apple to cool slightly, then beat in the rest of the egg. Spoon the mixture into the warm pastry base.
- Thinly slice the 2 remaining apples and arrange on the top of the flan. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle on the extra sugar. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until brown.
- Meanwhile, boil the apricot jam with the water. Brush the flan with the apricot glaze and allow to cool.
- Serve with whipped double cream.