Nail the Middle Eastern foodie trend with this fresh and fragrant salad from Salma Hage
You will need
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Aubergine 2, peeled and cut into large chunks
Olive oil 2 tbsp, plus extra for frying
Garlic 2 cloves, crushed
Gluten-free flour for dusting
Pine nuts 100g
Parsley 1 bunch, leaves coarsely chopped
Baby spinach leaves handful, chopped
Pomegranate seeds handful
For the dressing:
Pomegranate juice 4 tbsp
Balsamic vinegar 1 tsp
Lemon ½, juice of
Olive oil 4 tbsp
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°c / gas 6.
- Put the coriander and cumin seeds into a mortar and crush them with a pestle. Toast them in a dry frying pan for a few minutes, or until fragrant.
- Put the aubergines into a large bowl and toss with the oil, garlic and add some salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the toasted seeds.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of oil onto a baking sheet. Dip the aubergine lightly in the flour. Place them on the baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, or until char grilled and slightly crisp. Let cool.
- While the aubergine is roasting, mix all the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Put the roasted aubergine into a bowl, pour in 1–2 tbsp of the dressing and toss well. Let it stand for 10 minutes so the dressing can be absorbed.
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a frying pan and lightly toast the pine nuts until golden.
- Add the chopped parsley, spinach and pomegranate seeds to the aubergine and toss together well. Sprinkle on the toasted pine nuts and serve with the remaining dressing.
Chef’s tip: ‘Meaty aubergine and sweet-and-sour pomegranate make a delicious pairing, with toasted pine nuts offering a finishing crunch,’ says Salma.
Find more Middle Eastern recipes in Salma’s new book, The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook.