You will need
For the custard:
Vanilla pod 1
Double cream 400ml
Whole milk 100ml
Egg yolks 8
For the rhubarb:
Rhubarb 500g, topped and tailed
Orange 1/2, zest and juice
Grenadine 15ml, optional
- Scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod, then add the scraped pod to the cream and milk and heat at a low temperature until just simmering.
- Mix the egg yolks, vanilla seeds and sugar until creamy, then slowly pour over the hot cream, mixing continuously. Remove the pod and discard.
- Pour 100g of the custard into 6 oven-proof dishes and bake in a bain-marie at 140°c / gas 1 for 30 minutes. Take out and cool, then place in the fridge until required.
- To poach the rhubarb, place in a baking dish and pour over the sugar, orange juice, zest and grenadine. Cover with a layer of parchment and bake at 90°c / gas ¼ for 45 minutes to an hour until tender.
- Leave rhubarb to cool in the cooking juices, then keep in the fridge.
- Serve with some of the rhubarb, diced, on top of the custard.
Chef’s tip: ‘We serve this with homemade gingerbread, but crumbling Cornish fairings over works just as well,’ says Zack