You will need
Olive oil 2 tbsp
Chicken thighs 8, boneless and free-range with skin on
Smoked bacon rashers 3, diced
Onion 1 medium, diced
Chilli powder 1 tbsp
Garlic cloves 2, crushed
Baked beans 2 x 415g cans, drained
Smoked sausage 200g, sliced
Worcestershire sauce 3 tbsp
Dark soy sauce 1 tbsp
White wine vinegar 2 tbsp
Fresh thyme 3 sprigs
Tomato ketchup 100ml
Brown sugar 50g
Chicken stock 250ml
Red chilli 1, small, deseeded and diced
Crushed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200°c / gas 6.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add one tablespoon of the oil and sear the chicken thighs for 1 minute on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the bacon in the chicken oil for 2 minutes until crisp then add the onion, chilli powder and garlic and cook for 1 minute to soften.
- Put all the remaining ingredients in a 3.5l casserole dish. Add the sauteed onion mixture and stir to combine. Place the chicken thighs on top, put the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, stir the bean and sausage mixture and replace the chicken on top. Cook uncovered for a further 10 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.