This is a really simple and delicious dish which takes advantage of slow cooking the beef to bring out its rich flavours in the ragu
You will need
Beef rib on the bone 1kg
Onion 1 large, finely sliced
Carrots 2 medium, finely sliced
Celery 2 sticks, finely sliced
Garlic 4 cloves, crushed
Chopped tomatoes 2 tins
Tomato puree 1 tbsp
Full bodied red wine 250ml
Oregano 1 tsp
Bay leaves 2
Flat leaf parsley
- Add the sliced onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Place the meat on top of the vegetables and cover with the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and red wine.
- Season with the oregano and salt and pepper, tuck in the bay leaves.
- Cook on a low heat in a slow cooker for at least 6 hours until the meat is falling off the bone. Drain any excess fat from the surface.
- If serving straight away: cook the pappardelle to packet instructions, remove the bones from the sauce and garnish with the parsley and a squeeze of lemon.
- If storing: allow to cool then store in the fridge for the flavours to develop overnight.