Make the most of the autumn harvest with this gorgeous blackberry and apple tart recipe from Tom Bally of Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
You will need
- Butter 500g
- Caster sugar 470g
- Vanilla pod 1
- Eggs 4
- Plain flour 500g
- Russet apples 2
- Butter 1 knob for the compote
- Blackberries 1 punnet
- Ground almonds 250g
- Self raising flour 250g
- Flaked almonds a few
- Mascarpone 250g
- Vanilla extract to taste
- Icing sugar to taste
- To make the pastry, cream 250g of butter and 180g of sugar together, then add the seeds from the vanilla pod and 2 eggs. Mix well and add the plain flour. Mix again, then leave to rest in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Bring the pastry back to room temperature. Grease a 30cm tart case and line with the pastry.
- To make the compote, peel and chop the apples then add to a pan with 40g of sugar, a knob of butter, the leftover vanilla pod and the blackberries (keeping a few back for decoration). Cook on a low heat until the mixture becomes sticky.
- Remove from the heat, take out the vanilla pod and spread the mixture on the bottom of the pastry case.
- Cream the remaining 250g of butter and 250g of sugar then add the ground almonds, 2 eggs and self raising flour.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the compote and push a few blackberries into the mixture. Sprinkle some flaked almonds over the top and bake for 30 minutes at 170°c/gas 3.
- Mix together the mascarpone and vanilla extract then add icing sugar to sweeten.
- Serve a slice warm with a scoop of vanilla mascarpone.
Chef’s tip: ‘This is a straightforward dish which has a great autumnal feel with its blackberries and richly flavoured apples,’ says Tom
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel, Charlton Lane, Midsomer Norton, Radstock, Somerset, BA3 4BD