You will need
Hake fillets 200g x 4
Plain flour 200g
Panko breadcrumbs 200g
Mixed seaweed flakes 1 tbsp
Cornish sea salt to season
Rapeseed oil to fry
For the tartare sauce:
Banana shallot 1, finely diced
Gherkins 2, roughly chopped
Mini capers 2 tbsp
Tarragon, parsley, chervil, chives 1 tbsp of each, roughly chopped
Lemon 1, juice of
Salt and pepper to season
- For the tartare sauce: mix all of the ingredients together an hour before serving, season with salt and pepper and add lemon juice to taste. Keep refrigerated before serving.
- For the hake: mix the eggs and milk to make an egg wash. Season the flour with salt.
- Preheat a deep fat fryer to 180°c and the oven to 160°c.
- Coat each of the hake fillets: first with the flour (tapping any excess off), second with the egg wash and finally with the breadcrumbs, making sure the fish is well coated.
- Fry the breaded hake in the deep fat fryer for 5 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Drain off any excess oil, place on a tray and cook in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt and mixed seaweed flakes. Allow to rest on kitchen paper for a minute before serving.
- Serve a generous spoonful of the tartare sauce alongside the hake and accompany with a light, crisp salad.