Ian McDonald, head chef at Soar Mill Cove in south Devon, shares his recipe for butter-poached lobster with mussels and saffron broth
You will need
For the broth
Banana shallot 1, thinly chopped
River Fowey mussels 6
White wine 250ml
Saffron strands 6
Fish stock 250ml
Double cream 250ml
Broccoli florets 4, cooked
For the butter-poached lobster
- For the broth: put the shallot in a hot pan with 50g of butter.
- Add the mussels and white wine to the pan. When the mussels are
cooked (once the shells have opened), remove and set aside.
- Add the saffron and fish stock, then reduce the mixture by half. Add the cream and reduce the liquid by half again. Once reduced, whisk in the remaining butter.
- Remove the mussels from their shells then add back into the broth
mixture, followed by the broccoli.
- For the butter-poached lobster: cook the lobster in boiling water for 6-8 minutes
then remove from the pan. Remove and retain the lobster tails and claws.
- Melt the butter, then add to a small ovenproof dish along with the lobster pieces. Cover the dish with baking parchment, then heat in the oven at a low temperature for 5 minutes to warm through.
- To serve: spoon a portion of the broth onto the plate and top
with the lobster.