This stunning caramel pear tart recipe comes from Outlaw’s restaurant in Rock
You will need
For the tart
- Williams pears 4, cored and cut into wedges
- Puff pastry 250g
- Sugar 100g
- Butter 25g
For the chocolate sauce
- Double cream 150ml
- Dark chocolate 100g, broken into squares
- Bergamot oil 4 drops
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and cut into a 25cm diameter circle the thickness of a pound coin.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚c/ gas 6. Heat the sugar in a 25cm wide, oven-proof non-stick frying pan on a low heat until it melts and turns medium brown, then whisk in the butter until smooth. Remove from the heat to cool.
- Arrange the pears on top of the caramel mixture in a tight fan shape. Place the pastry circle over the pears, tucking the sides down within the pan. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over a medium heat until it just comes to the boil then remove. Add the chocolate and the drops of bergamot oil and stir until smooth.
- Flip the tart so it’s pear-side up. Cut into slices and serve with the warm chocolate sauce poured over the top and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Chef’s tip: We serve this with our own earl grey ice cream but vanilla ice cream works well,’ says Tom Brown, head chef of Outlaw’s in Rock
Outlaw’s, St Enodoc Hotel, Rock Road, Rock, Cornwall, PL27 6LA