Tommy Gilbert, pastry chef at The Greenbank Hotel in Falmouth, shares his recipe for rich chocolate tart with chocolate orange soil, poached orange and redcurrant coulis
You will need
For the chocolate tart
Double cream 380ml
70% dark chocolate 365g
Cornish sea salt 1 tbsp
Unsalted butter 85g
Pastry tart case pre-cooked
For the chocolate soil
Unsalted butter 135g, melted
Caster sugar 200g
Ground almonds 200g
Plain flour 120g
Cocoa powder 100g
Oranges 3, zested
Redcurrant coulis optional
Orange segments poached in caramelised brown sugar, orange juice, star anise and green cardamom, optional
- For the chocolate tart: in a saucepan, bring the cream to the boil over a medium heat.
- Place the chocolate, trimoline and sea salt in a bowl. Pour over the hot cream and stir to melt the chocolate. Add the butter and whisk the ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case and leave aside to set for a few hours.
- For the chocolate soil: preheat the oven to 160˚c / gas 3. Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until fully combined.
- Tip the soil on to a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, making sure to stir the soil every 5 minutes.
- To serve: dust the plate with chocolate soil and place a slice of tart on top. Decorate with coulis and poached orange segments.
Want to try Tommy’s? The rich chocolate tart features on The Greenbank’s winter menu.