Ashley Wright, head chef at The Horn of Plenty in Devon, shares his recipe for chorizo jam – the perfect partner to slow-cooked octopus
You will need
Cooking chorizo 1kg, diced
Spanish onions 2, finely diced
Garlic ½ bulb, minced
Balsamic vinegar 200ml
Light brown sugar 200g
‘Serve with seafood, cheese or with salads for an added burst of flavour,’ says Ashley
- Fry the chorizo in a large saucepan for around 5 minutes until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the chorizo oil in the pan.
- Gently fry the onions in the chorizo oil until soft and starting to brown.
- Add the garlic, cooked chorizo, vinegar and sugar.
- Cook on a low heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Put half of the mixture into a food processor and blend. Fold the two mixtures together and then leave to cool completely.
- Store in a sterilised jar.
Try Ashley’s chorizo jam with slow-cooked octopus at The Horn of Plenty’s Mediterranean Evening on April 10. To book, call The Horn of Plenty on 01822 832528.