‘Serve this with buttered new potatoes and seasonal veg,’ says John Collins of Dennis Knights Fish Merchants in Port Isaac.
You will need
- Hake steaks 8 x 120g
- Medium onion 1, diced
- Garlic 2 cloves, roughly chopped
- Black olives 1 small tin (about 100g) pitted and halved (optional)
- On-the-vine tomatoes 500g, chopped
- Tomato purée 1 tsp
- Fresh basil a handful, roughly chopped
- Oregano 2 tsp
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- Sugar a pinch
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc/gas 4.
- Season the hake steaks and place on an oiled non-stick baking tray.
- To make the sauce, fry the onions and garlic in the olive oil for approximately five minutes until soft. Add the chopped vine tomatoes, tomato purée, oregano and sugar (this lessens the acidity of the tomatoes).
- Reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes. When the sauce has reduced in consistency stir in the fresh basil.
- Spoon the sauce over the hake steaks and add the pitted olives if desired. Season then cover with foil and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Fish Cellars, Port Isaac, Cornwall, PL29 3RB.