Step the canapés at your next social soiree up a notch with this pork belly, ginger salsa, and wasabi clotted cream combo
You will need
For the pork:
Pork belly 1kg, trimmed and skin removed
Chinese five-spice powder 50g, for rubbing
Rice flour 80g, seasoned with salt & pepper
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the stem ginger salsa:
Stem ginger 80g, finely chopped
Lime 1, zest of whole lime and 1/2 juice
Small red chilli 1, finely sliced and seeds removed
Fresh coriander small handful, chopped
For the wasabi clotted cream:
Trewithen clotted cream 100g
Crème fraiche 100g
Wasabi paste 2tbsp
Mirin rice wine 2tbsp
Coriander to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 120°C. Rub the pork belly with the five spice powder and season liberally. Place on a roasting pan, skin side down and roast for 3 hours. Baste every 30 minutes. Test by pushing a pushing a fork into the meat, it should be soft and tender. Leave to cool.
- For the wasabi clotted cream, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and place in the fridge.
- For the stem ginger salsa, mix the prepared ingredients together in a bowl, cover and place in the fridge.
- Pre-heat your deep fat fryer to 180°C. Cut the cooled pork in to 1” cubes, coat in the seasoned rice flour. Very gently deep fry for 2-3 minutes until crisp, place on kitchen paper to drain any excess oil
- Place the pork on your serving plate. Top the pork with some ginger salsa. Dollop wasabi cream on the plate and decorate with coriander leaves.
Chef’s tips: ‘This would be a fantastic use for left over roast pork.’