Makes one loaf
You will need
Tepid water 85g
Dark whole rye flour 85g
Rye kibble 20g
Pumpkin seeds 10g
Sunflower seeds 10g
Boiling water 50g
Tepid water 110g
Black treacle 15g
Fresh yeast 5g (10g if using
Dark rye flour 170g
- To start: mix the water and flour together and leave covered in a warm place. This will need to be done 48 hours in advance.
- To soak: mix the rye and seeds together and pour the boiling water over the top. Cover with clingfilm and leave to soak for 1 hour, then drain off any excess water and allow to cool completely.
- To mix: place the water, mixture from step 1, treacle and yeast together in the bottom of the bowl. Add the flour, soaked seeds from step 2 and the salt. Make sure the salt sits on top initially. Using a wooden spoon, mix all the ingredients together to form a smooth dough (although it will look more like a thick paste than a dough).
- Lightly oil the base and sides of a 700g loaf tin. Using a spatula, place the dough in the tin and spread evenly, then dust the top with rye flour and leave in a warm place to prove for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The dough will double in size and the top should crack and look a little like tiger skin.
- Place in a preheated oven at 200°c and bake for 30-40 minutes. Remove from the tin and allow to cool.
- Serve with potted shrimps, a wedge of fresh lemon, red onion and fresh herbs.