Mike Francis, head chef at The Scarlet in Mawgan Porth, shares his recipe for dark chocolate delice with mulled poached blackberries and brown bread ice cream
You will need
Ice cream machine
For the delice
Dark chocolate 175g
Egg yolks 2 large
Whipping cream 200ml
For the ice cream
Egg yolks 10 large
Caster sugar 225g
Dark brown sugar 50g
Granary bread 5 slices
For the poached blackberries
Red wine 500ml
Cumin 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick 1
Star anise 2
Caster sugar 150g
Blackberry coulis 125ml, alternatively use a rich blackberry jam
- For the delice: melt the chocolate in a bain marie.
- Cream together the yolks and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a pan, bring 125ml of the cream and the milk to the boil and pour over the egg mix. Return to the heat and cook until thickened.
- Whip the remaining cream until it forms soft peaks. In a blender, slowly combine the chocolate and custard until smooth. Pour the mix into a clean bowl and allow to cool slightly before gently folding in the whipped cream. Pour into moulds and leave to set in the fridge.
- For the ice cream: place the yolks and caster sugar in a large bowl and whisk until ribbon-like. Bring the cream and milk to the boil and then whisk into the egg mix until combined.
- In another pan, cook off the brandy for a couple of minutes. Add this to the custard and then cook until it coats the back of a spoon. Leave to cool in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 160°c / gas 3. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bread and bake until caramelised. Once cool, blitz into a crumb and set aside.
- Place the ice cream mix into a machine and churn. Once the ice cream is almost ready, add the breadcrumbs.
- For the poached blackberries: in a pan, bring the alcohol, spices and sugar to a simmer. Turn down the heat and add the coulis. Once the sugar has dissolved add the blackberries and allow to cool.
- To serve: turn the individual delices out onto plates. Garnish each plate with a few blackberries, a drizzle of poaching sauce and scoop of ice cream.