Make the most of the first summer strawberries with this stunning eton mess semifreddo recipe from Ross Hunter, head chef at Yeo Valley HQ
You will need
- Strawberries 300g, hulled and halved
- Lemon 1 small, finely grated zest of
- Limoncello or orange flavoured liqueur 6 tbsp
- Free range eggs 3 large
- Caster sugar 50g
- Double cream 300ml
- Meringues 50g (about 4 nests), smashed into pieces
For the strawberry sauce
- Strawberries 300g, hulled
- Icing sugar 2-3 tbsp,depending on the sweetness of the berries
- Lemon juice 2 tsp
- Limoncello or orange flavoured liqueur 2 tsp
- For the semifreddo, put the strawberries, lemon zest and limoncello into a food processor and pulse into a coarse puree.
- Separate the eggs into 2 large mixing bowls. Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk together until pale and really thick. Whisk the cream in a third bowl until it forms soft peaks. Whisk the egg whites into soft peaks.
- Gently fold the cream into the egg yolks, followed by the strawberry puree, the egg whites and crumbled meringue. Spoon the mixture into a 1.5 litre shallow serving dish. Cover with clingfilm and freeze until firm – at least 7 hours or overnight.
- For the strawberry sauce, simply puree all the ingredients in a liquidiser until very smooth. Rub the mixture through a very fine sieve into a bowl, cover and chill until needed.
- Leave the semifreddo to soften slightly at room temperature before serving. Scoop large spoonfuls onto dessert plates and drizzle over the sauce. Serve quickly as this melts faster than normal ice cream.