You will need
Mussels 2kg, scrubbed
Smoked bacon 6 rashers, finely sliced
Garlic 1 clove, peeled and sliced
Sandford Orchards cider 200ml
Small leek 1, chopped
Crème fraîche 4 tbsp
Micro herbs (such as red amaranth and baby basil) ½ packet
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large pan on a high heat. Add the bacon and cook for a couple of minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Empty the mussels into a bowl. It’s important to sort through them, tapping any open ones lightly on the shell to see if they close, and discarding the ones that remain open or are damaged – these aren’t safe to eat.
- Tip the mussels into the hot pan with the garlic, cider, leeks and bacon, then cover with a lid and steam for 3-4 minutes or until the mussels have opened.
- Add the crème fraîche, give the pan shake and bring to the boil.
- To serve, pour the mussels into a bowl (throw away any closed ones) and sprinkle with micro herbs to garnish.