Serves 2 as a starter
You will need
For the Asian pesto:
Blanched unsalted peanuts 100g
Flat leaf parsley 50g
Garlic clove 1, finely chopped
Ginger 1 thumb size piece, finely chopped
Palm sugar to taste
Red chilli 1, deseeded and finely diced
For the squid:
Custard powder 100g
Chilli powder 5g
Star anise powder a pinch
Dried thyme a pinch
Sea salt a pinch
Fresh squid 1 kg, cleaned
- For the pesto: roast the peanuts in a hot oven until golden and allow to cool.
- Place the nuts, herbs, garlic and ginger into a blender and blitz to a paste. Add the oil until a pesto-like consistency, then season with lime, fish sauce and palm sugar to taste. Mix in the diced chilli.
- For the squid: heat the oil to 180°C in a fryer or large pan.
- Combine the custard powder, spices, thyme and salt. Open up the squid tubes and lightly score the inside with a knife and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss the tentacles in the spice mix and shake off any excess.
- Fry for around thirty seconds and place onto a tray containing kitchen paper to drain any excess oil. Repeat the process with the squid tubes.
- Place the pesto onto the plates and top with the squid. Serve immediately.