You will need
Red mullet 4 fillets, scaled
Light olive oil
Salt to season
For the chutney:
Red onions 2, peeled and finely chopped
Coriander seeds 2 tsp
Garlic 4 cloves, peeled and finely chopped
Red chillis 8, deseeded and finely chopped
Fresh ginger 100g, peeled and finely grated
Ripe plum tomatoes 700g, blanched, skinned and chopped
Dark brown sugar 200g
Red wine vinegar 100ml
Balsamic vinegar 50ml
Salt 2 tsp
- For the chutney: heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the onions and coriander seeds, cook for 6-8 minutes until softened and just starting to brown.
- Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, vinegars and salt and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced and sticky.
- Blitz the chutney briefly with a stick blender, keeping plenty of texture. Allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the chutney from the fridge at least 1 hour before serving.
- For the mullet: lightly oil and season the fish and cook under a medium grill for 2 minutes or until just cooked.
- Serve the chutney and red mullet on toast, making sure to drizzle over all of the oil released by the fish when grilling.