As light as snow, these tiny meringues come with a rich chocolate hit and sprinkle of chewy hazelnut
You will need
- Egg whites 2
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract ½ tsp
- Cream of tartar ¼ tsp
- Icing sugar 125g
- Ground hazelnuts 50g
- Hazelnuts 50g, thinly sliced
- Plain chocolate (70% cocoa solids) 120g, chopped
- Heat the oven to 150°c/gas 2. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Whisk together the egg whites, lemon juice and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Gradually sift in the cream of tartar and icing sugar and beat until glossy and stiff. Fold in the ground hazelnuts.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle. Pipe 2cm rounds on the baking trays about 5cm apart.
- Sprinkle with the sliced hazelnuts and bake for 25-30 minutes until dry and firm.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on the baking trays.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering (not boiling) water. Set aside and cool slightly.
- Dip the base of each biscuit in the chocolate, allowing any excess to drip off, then place on non-stick baking paper to set.