Back by popular demand is our foolproof recipe for summer scones
You will need
- Self-raising flour 225g
- Butter 40g
- Castor sugar 25g
- Milk 150ml
- Salt a pinch
- Bicarbonate of soda a pinch
- Fresh strawberries
- Clotted cream
- Strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7/220oC.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Make a well and pour the milk into the dry ingredients, a little at a time, using a palette knife. Try to handle the dough as little as possible – handling works the gluten which results in a tougher scone. When mixed the result should be quite sticky and moist. Add more milk if required.
- Leave the dough to rest for 20 minutes, then turn it onto a very lightly floured surface and roll or press out lightly until about an inch (or more) thick. Don’t roll it too thin or you’ll end up with a biscuity scone, which nobody appreciates.
- Use a floured cutter to cut out rounds and gently place them on a greased baking tray. Be careful not to twist the cutter or you’ll get an uneven scone.
- Brush a small amount of milk on the top of each scone, then bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.