Joe McCarthy, head chef at The Wychwood Inn in the Cotswolds, shares his recipe for lamb with beetroot and salsa verde
You will need
For the salsa verde
Capers 2 tbsp
Anchovy fillets 2
Garlic cloves 2, peeled
Extra virgin olive oil 70g
Dijon mustard 1 tsp
Red wine vinegar 1 tbsp
Salt a pinch
Lamb rumps 4, approximately 170g each
Fresh thyme a couple sprigs
Garlic 1 clove, peeled
Salt a pinch
Unsalted butter 50g
Fresh mint to serve
- For the salsa verde: place all the ingredients in a blender, then blitz to a paste. Put to one side.
- For the roasted beetroot: preheat the oven to 180°c / gas 4. Roll the beetroot in oil and salt, then wrap each one in foil. Place them on a baking tray, then cook for 1 hour. Leave to cool, then peel and cut into pieces.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°c / gas 6.
- For the lamb: roll the rumps in a little oil, then place in a hot, dry pan. Add a splash of oil then add the thyme, garlic, salt and butter. Fry the rumps until browned. Place the rumps on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 7–10 minutes (they will have a core temperature of 45°c when cooked). Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve: pour a little of the salsa verde onto each plate and spread evenly with a spoon. Top with the beetroot and lamb and finish with fresh mint.