Light puff pastry, thin slices of strawberry and cream infused with elderflower combine to create the perfect pastry accompaniment to a beautiful sunny day
You will need
- Ready-rolled puff pastry 375g, just thawed if frozen
- Elderflower syrup 1 tbsp
- Caster sugar 2 tsp
- Double cream 125ml
- Fresh strawberries 10, hulled and thinly sliced
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/gas 6. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper. Cut the puff pastry sheet into small rectangles 5cm long and 2.5cm wide.
- Arrange on the lined baking sheet and use a fork to prick holes into the surface of each one. Place a sheet of baking paper over the top of the pastries.
- Place another baking sheet on top of the pastries (to stop the pastry from rising too much during baking), then bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until golden. Allow the puff pastry layers to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Mix the elderflower syrup and caster sugar into the cream in a bowl and then whisk until thick. To assemble each mille-feuille, spread the cream over a pastry layer, then top with strawberries and another layer of pastry. Spread more cream on top of the second pastry layer, then top with strawberries and a final pastry layer. Dust the top of each mille-feuille with icing sugar before serving.