With glamorous vintage the height of style, take a nostalgic trip back to 1950s New York with this old fashioned cocktail recipe
You will need
- Rye whiskey 50ml
- Lemon half, freshly squeezed
- Brown sugar 1 tsp
- Angostura bitters 6 drops
- Put all of the ingredients, except for the ice, in a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle the ingredients together to grind the flavours together. Use a metal spoon if you don’t have a wooden muddler.
- Add ice to the shaker, put the lid on and shake well.
- Pour the strained drink over lots of ice and lemon in a whiskey glass and dress with a cherry to taste.
Chef’s tip: Saunton Sands Hotel’s bar manager, Laura Sanders says, ‘We included the Old Fashioned in our new cocktail menu because it’s such a classic drink. It was originally referred to as the ‘bittered sling’ and there are reports of it being made and drunk as far back as 1806.
Saunton Sands Hotel, Saunton, near Braunton, North Devon, EX33 1LQ