Use whatever fruit takes your fancy for this fab sponge pudding recipe from Stella West-Harling MBE
You will need
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Caster sugar 125g
- Self raising flour 250g
- Full cream milk 60ml
- Egg 1
- Plums 6
- Caster sugar 25g, melted in a small amount of water or sherry to form a syrup
- Heat the oven to 180°c/gas 4.
- Melt the butter and put into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and egg and beat briskly until smooth, then add the flour and milk alternatively, beating until it forms a batter.
- Pour the sugar syrup into a well buttered baking dish and add the halved fruit, skin side down, in a pattern so it looks attractive when turned out.
- Pour the batter over the top allowing a good depth in the baking dish for the pudding to rise up.
- Put into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- The pudding should have a crisp top and a soggy base. Wait for about 10 minutes before loosening the side with a sharp knife and turning it onto a plate for serving.
Chef’s tip: ‘This quick and easy upside-down pudding can be made using any soft fruit variety,’ says Stella
A Cook’s Book by Stella West-Harling is published by Thornberry Press. Available from Ashburton Cookery School and its website, priced £25 (inc UK p&p)
Ashburton Cookery School, Old Exeter Road, Ashburton, Devon, TQ13 7LG