Zack Hawke, head chef at The Mariners Public House in Rock, shares his alternative festive pudding recipe – rice pudding with sloe gin soaked blackberries
You will need
Short grain pudding rice 200g
Double cream 250ml
Whole milk 1l
Cinnamon stick 1
Vanilla pod 1
Demerara sugar 200g
Unsalted butter 50g
Salt pinch of
Sloe gin 400ml
- Soak the blackberries in the sloe gin overnight – reserving a little for the end.
- Scrape the vanilla seeds into the cream and milk, add the pod and cinnamon stick and warm gently (to infuse) for 10 minutes.
- Add 100g of the sugar, salt and pudding rice and gently simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mascarpone and butter and stir in.
- Portion the rice into 6 bowls and sprinkle over the remaining sugar.
- Place each one under a hot grill to caramelise and almost burn the sugar on top.
- Finish with 3 blackberries on top of each rice pudding and a spoonful of the sloe gin – serve with a glass on the side!