You will need
Chicken breasts (with skin on) 4, marinated overnight in garlic and thyme
Rapeseed oil a splash
Jerusalem artichokes 200g, peeled and sliced equally
Thyme 1 tsp, chopped
Pancetta lardons 70g
Hazelnuts 70g, roasted or crushed
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/gas 4.
- Place the chicken breasts skin side down in a hot pan with a little rapeseed oil. Leave to brown for 3-4 minutes, then turn over and cook on the flesh side for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Place the chicken in the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes or until cooked.
- Blanch the kale in simmering water until just cooked, then drain. Toss in butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Pan roast the jerusalem artichokes until just cooked.
- To cook the mushrooms, heat a pan and add a little rapeseed oil along with butter and thyme.
- Fry the pancetta lardons in a hot pan with a touch of oil.
- Assemble and serve with chicken gravy, picked watercress, artichoke crisps and hazelnuts.
Samuel Brook, head chef at Paschoe House near Crediton, shares his recipe for chicken with celeriac fondant, braised celery and roasted celeriac puree