You will need
Scallops 12, shelled, cleaned and roe removed
Monkfish tail 1kg
Peas 200g, podded and cooked
Cooked black eyed beans 200g
Broad beans 200g, cooked and skinned
Haricot blanc beans 200g, cooked
Shellfish or chicken stock 1l
Flat leaf parsley 10g
Kale/spinach 500g, picked, blanched in boiling water and refreshed in ice water
Samphire tips 10g
Plum tomatoes 4, peeled and de-seeded
Salt and sweet paprika pinch of each
- Prepare the monkfish tail by removing the membrane and the bone.
- Cut the monkfish fillets into medallions a similar size to the scallops.
- Place the peas, beans and sweetcorn into a saucepan. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Chop the chives, tarragon and parsley and add to the stock.
- Check for seasoning and remove from the heat to infuse.
- Add the cooked kale, picked samphire and tomatoes.
- Season one side of the scallops and monkfish medallions with the sweet paprika and salt and pan fry that side in a preheated skillet with a little oil.
- When golden, place into the stock and back on to the heat to finish cooking. Serve immediately.
Chef’s tip: ‘Prep the monkfish and scallops the day before, so they can dry a little which lets them firm up and turn a more golden colour,’ says Neil.