You will need
White onion 1 large, diced
Garlic 3 cloves, crushed
Risotto rice 300g
Fish stock 1l
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Raw prawns 20
Lemon 1, zest and juice
Sea salt and black pepper to season
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based pan, add the onion and garlic, and sweat until translucent in colour.
- Add the risotto rice, stir for a few minutes, and then add a ladle of stock.
- Keep the rice moving in the pan (this will help release the creamy starch) and once the liquid has been absorbed, add another ladle of stock. Repeat this process until the rice has softened.
- Five minutes before serving, cook the seafood: heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Season the scallops with salt and pepper, pat dry and then add to the pan for 2-3 minutes, only turning once you have a caramelised brown sear.
- While the scallops are cooking, add the prawns, lemon juice and zest to the risotto. Once the prawns have cooked, spoon the risotto into bowls and top with the seared scallops.
Chef’s tip: ‘If you’re entertaining, the rice can be cooked in advance and left very slightly undercooked so that it can be finished in minutes with a little stock,‘ says Richard