Try something a little different for your tea time treat with this spiced beetroot and apple muffin recipe
You will need
- Plain flour 275g
- Baking powder 2 tsp
- Ground mixed spice 2 tsp
- Cinnamon 1 tsp
- Large eggs 2
- Unsalted butter 125g, melted
- Castor sugar 60g
- Milk 175ml
- Natural cooked beetroot 1 pack, grated coarsely
- Pink lady apples 2, cored and grated coarsely
For the hazelnut topping:
- Self raising flour 75g
- Ground mixed spice 1 tsp
- Unsalted butter 40g, cut into little cubes
- Demerara sugar 75g
- Blanched hazelnuts 75g, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°c/gas 5.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, melted butter, sugar and milk. Pour into the flour and mix very lightly – don’t worry if it looks lumpy.
- Finally, gently fold through the grated beetroot and apple and spoon into the muffin cases.
- To make the topping, stir the mixed spice trough the flour, then add the butter, sugar and nuts. Rub between finger and thumb until crumbly and well mixed. Sprinkle evenly over the muffins. Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.