Make the most of seasonal asparagus with this light and tasty veggie risotto, perfect for spring suppers
You will need
Celery 1 stick, finely diced
Garlic clove 1, crushed
Arborio rice 175g
White wine 100ml
Vegetable stock 750ml
Asparagus spears 6, chopped into 1cm rounds, tips kept whole
Spring onions 3, sliced
Parmesan cheese 50g, grated
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy based saucepan. On a medium heat cook the celery for 5 minutes until it becomes tender, then add the garlic, then the rice and stir to coat.
- Pour in the wine and stir until absorbed. Pour in half of the hot stock, stir well and simmer stirring occasionally. Once the stock is almost absorbed, pour in half of the remaining stock and continue to cook.
- Add the asparagus and spring onions and half the remaining stock. Continue adding half of the remaining stock and stirring until the rice is cooked with a slight bite in the centre.
- Remove from the heat, stir in half of the parmesan and some black pepper, check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Serve with the remaining parmesan sprinkled over and any left-over chopped celery tops.