James Lean of Outlaw’s Fish Kitchen in Port Isaac shares his stunning squid recipe
Serves 4 as small plates
You will need
- Squid 2, cleaned and cut into rings, tentacles reserved
- Fennel bulbs 1, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Cornish salami 100g, cut into strips
- Large orange 1, peel and pith removed and segmented
- Light rapeseed oil for cooking
- Cornish sea salt
- Chives 2 tsp, finely chopped
For the dressing
- Fresh orange juice 300ml
- Lemon juice 2 tsp
- Olive oil 20ml
- To make the dressing, bring the orange juice to the boil in a non-aluminium pan and reduce by two thirds, then remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Pre-heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- When the pan is hot add a drizzle of oil. Season the squid with salt and carefully place in the pan.
- Cook for a minute until lightly coloured, turning once.
- Once the squid is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and add the sliced fennel and salami to warm through.
- Add the orange segments, orange dressing and chopped chives to finish.