Andy Appleton of Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen Cornwall uses fresh Cornish crab in this delicious Italian pasta dish
You will need
- Garganelli or linguine pasta 200g
- Red onion 1 small, finely diced
- Fennel 1 small, finely diced
- Red chilli 1 small, finely diced
- White wine 30ml
- White crab meat 125g, picked
- Lemon 1, unwaxed
- Flat leaf parsley small bunch
- Fennel seeds 2g
- Dried chilli 1g
- Day old ciabatta 1 small loaf, torn into small pieces
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Boil a large pan of salted water and add the pasta.
- For the pangrattato – in a hot pan, toast the fennel seeds and chilli for no more than 30 seconds, then smash in a pestle and mortar.
- In the same pan, add the torn bread and a good splash of olive oil then fry until crispy. Mix with the toasted seeds.
- In another large pan, gently fry the onion, diced fennel, garlic and chilli in a little olive oil.
- When soft, pour in the white wine, stir well and add the picked crab, lemon zest and some of the lemon juice.
- Finally, add the cooked pasta and stir well before adding the parsley.
- Season to taste and serve straight away, topped with a generous handful of the pangrattato.
Chef’s tip: ‘It’s easier to make a really wet base and add more flour; if you start too dry then you’ll have to start again. The more you practise, the better your pasta will become.’
Fifteen Cornwall, On the beach, Watergate Bay, Newquay, Cornwall, TR8 4AA