Makes 1 loaf
You will need
- Warm milk 100ml
- Dried yeast 2 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Plain flour 225g, plus extra for dusting
- Ground mixed spice 1 tsp
- Mixed dried fruit 200g
- Flaked almonds 25g
- Unsalted butter 50g
- Free range egg 1 beaten
- Marzipan 250g
- Unsalted butter 25g, melted
- Icing sugar 50g
- Place the milk and yeast into a bowl and mix well. Leave to sit for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the salt, sugar, flour and mixed spice into a large bowl.
- Add the dried fruit, almonds, butter and mix well.
- Add the yeast and the milk mixture and mix well.
- Add the egg and stir well to make a dough. Knead the dough for 5-6 minutes, then cover and leave to prove for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the dough and turn out onto a clean, floured work surface. Using your hands knock the dough back to reduce the volume, then knead the dough for 3-4 minutes.
- Push and roll the dough out by hand into a flat oval shape about 23cm x 18cm. Roll the marzipan into a piece about 18cm x 5 cm, place the marzipan into the centre of the dough, then fold over the sides of the dough to seal in the marzipan.
- Place the stollen seal-side down onto a greased baking tray. Cover place somewhere warm to prove for a hour.
- Preheat oven 180°c/gas 4. Place stolen on the baking tray into the oven to bake for 40 minutes, or until golden-brown and cooked through. To finish, remove the stolen from the oven, brush with melted butter and dust with icing sugar immediately. Allow to cool then serve slices.
Magdalen Street, Exeter, Devon EX2 4HY