Ryan Gaines, head chef at The Firehouse in Somerset, shares his recipe for The Firehouse chocolate plate
You will need
For the chocolate delice
Whole milk 35ml
Double cream 80ml
Egg ½, whisked
Dark chocolate 85g, roughly chopped
For the brownie
Eggs 3, whisked
Dark chocolate 170g
Plain flour 110g, sifted
Baking powder ¼ tsp
Fresh raspberries optional
Honeycomb shards optional
Chocolate sauce optional
- For the chocolate delice: put the milk and cream in a saucepan, then gently heat until they start to boil. In a large bowl, pour the mixture over the egg and whisk constantly until it is smooth and has thickened.
- Stir in the chocolate and continue whisking until the chocolate has melted and the custard is smooth. Pour the mixture into the moulds and leave to set in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
- For the chocolate brownie: preheat the oven to 170˚c / gas 3. Gently whisk the eggs and sugar until light in colour and fully combined.
- Melt the butter and chocolate over a bain-marie.
- Fold the melted chocolate and butter into the egg mixture, then fold in the flour and baking powder. Pour the mixture into a lined baking tray and bake for approximately 15-18 minutes.
- To serve: portion the brownie into long rectangles and serve with the chocolate delice on top. Decorate the plate with garnishes of your choice.