Makes 12 biscuits
You will need
Caster sugar 140g
Plain flour 500g
Butter 340g, very cold
Salt 1 tsp
Icing sugar 1 tbsp, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 130° /gas 2 and grease a shallow metal baking tray.
- Dice butter into small cubes and stir into the flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a fine breadcrumb without lumps.
- Tip the mix into the greased tin and press firmly into the base with the palm of your hand paying attention to the edges and corners.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then sprinkle with icing sugar.
Chef’s tip: ‘Don’t overwork the the flour and butter mix, this will cause the shortbread to become tough,’ says Tim.