This super simply apple cake recipe can be warmed up on a chilly evening and served for pudding with lashings of double cream
You will need
- Brown sugar 45g
- Butter 45g
- Cinnamon 1 tsp
- Apples 2 medium
- For the topping:
For the sponge:
- Plain flour 200g
- Castor sugar 150g
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Bicarbonate of soda ½ tsp
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Eggs 2 medium
- Full fat milk 100 ml
- Sunflower/vegetable oil 75 ml
1. Pre heat the oven to 150C/gas 2 and grease a 7 or 6 inch round deep pan.
2. Cut and core apples into wedges and arrange in a neat circular pattern at the base of the greased tin.
3. In a saucepan melt the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter till sugar is well dissolved and pour gently over the arranged apples.
4. In a mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients for the sponge and mix lightly. Then add all the wet ingredients and mix well till smooth but don’t overbeat.
5. Pour over the apple and syrup mixture gently in the tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.
6. Once fully baked, leave to rest for 5 minutes and turn onto your serving plate. Do not let it cool in the tin like other cakes in order to avoid the caramel mixture sticking to the base of the tin.
Chef’s tip: ‘With basic store cupboard ingredients you won’t even need to step out in the cold with a checklist. This recipe’s Best served warm with a dollop of cream or vanilla ice cream drizzled with maple syrup.’ says Alia
Recipe from Alia Faisal