Chris Heaver of The Arundell Arms shares his delicious recipe for vanilla pannacotta served with a strawberry consommé
You will need
For the pannacotta
- Whole milk ½ pint
- Double cream ½ pint
- Castor sugar 50g
- Vanilla pod 1
- Gelatine 2 whole leaves
For the strawberry consommé
- Strawberries 250g
- Castor sugar 100g
- For the pannacotta: place the milk, cream and sugar in a saucepan. Split the vanilla pod in half lengthways, scrape out the seeds and add both seeds and the pod to the cream mixture.
- Take the gelatine and soak it in a bowl of cold water until soft.
- When the milk and cream mixture comes to the boil, strain the gelatine and add it to the mixture.
- Stir well and strain through a fine sieve, then leave to cool.
- Once cooled, add the mixture to moulds and put it in the fridge to set.
- For the consommé take the strawberries, cut out the green tops, then cut in half.
- Place the strawberries into a saucepan with the castor sugar and stew on a low heat, with a lid on the pan, for about 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat. Push the mixture through a fine sieve, then put it to one side and leave until cold.
- To serve, remove the pannacotta from the fridge and place the moulds in a tray of hot water for a few seconds. Then turn out the pannacotta into bowls just before serving. Pour the consommé around the pannacotta and garnish with a cut strawberry.
Chef’s tip: ‘A piece of thin shortbread served on the side works well with this dish,’ advises Chris
The Arundell Arms Hotel, Fore Street, Lifton, Devon, PL16 0AA