For the salsa roja
- Ripe tomatoes 4
- Shallot 1, sliced
- Green chilli 1, sliced (seeds kept or discarded depending on preference)
- Garlic 1 clove, minced
- Salt a pinch
For the huevos rancheros
- Cooking oil
- Small tortillas 8
- Eggs 8
- Refried beans 400g can
- Chipotle paste 1 tbsp
- Feta 4 tbsp, crumbled
- Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- For the salsa roja: place the tomatoes in a dry pan and let them roast, turning often, until slightly charred. Remove with tongs, then cut into quarters and place in a sieve to cool and drain, pressing gently with the back of a spoon to remove some of the excess liquid.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds and core. Place the tomatoes in a blender with all the other salsa ingredients. Try to avoid over-blending so that it becomes pale and frothy. Pour into a small pan set over a medium heat and simmer gently until ready to serve.
- For the huevos rancheros: place a large frying pan over a high heat. Add a splash of oil and when it’s shimmering hot, add 2–4 tortillas, or as many as will fit in a single layer. Cook for 20–30 seconds, until lightly browned, then flip and repeat. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Repeat until all are cooked. Keep warm.
- Turn the heat down. When the pan is no longer scorchingly hot, fry the eggs to your liking, adding more oil as needed. Meanwhile, warm the refried beans in a pan and stir in the chipotle paste.
- To serve: spread each tortilla with some of the refried beans, then top with a fried egg. Spoon about a tablespoonful of the salsa over each egg (don’t use too much or it will make the tortillas soggy). Scatter over the feta and coriander.
Recipe featured in LEON Happy Fast Food by Rebecca Seal, Jack Burke and John Vincent. Published by Conran Octopus, photography by Steven Joyce. £16.99