9cm metal crumpet rings 6
For the crumpets
- Strong white flour 90g, sifted
- Plain flour 90g, sifted
- Dried yeast 7g Caster sugar ½ tsp
- Milk 175ml, warm
- Water 100ml, warm
- Bicarbonate of soda ¼ tsp
- Salt ½ tsp
- Butter 10g
For the mushrooms
- Wild mushrooms 250g, trimmed and cleaned
- Vegetable oil 10ml
- Butter 2 tsp
- Garlic 1½ cloves, finely chopped
- Parsley 50g, finely chopped
- Cornish sea salt
For the parmesan crisps
- Parmesan 50g, finely grated
- For the crumpets: combine the flours and yeast in a large bowl. Dissolve the sugar into the milk, then add to the flours and mix until it forms a smooth dough.
- Prove the dough for one hour. Then add the water, bicarbonate of soda and salt to the dough and whisk until smooth again.
- Add the butter to a medium frying pan. Lightly grease the crumpet rings, then position them in the pan. Pour the crumpet batter into the metal rings until half full. Fry on a medium heat for approximately 8 minutes, or until the base of the crumpets turn golden. Then remove the rings and flip the discs over. Fry for a further 5 minutes.
- For the mushrooms: fry the mushrooms on a medium-high heat in the vegetable oil. Once lightly browned, add the butter, followed by the garlic and parsley. Season with sea salt to taste.
- For the parmesan crisps: line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Sprinkle the parmesan on the tray so that it forms a rough square. Bake at 170°c / gas 3 for approximately 8 minutes. Once baked, allow to cool before breaking into shards.
- To serve: top the crumpets with the mushrooms, then decorate with the parmesan crisps.