You will need
Chickpeas 400g (2 tins)
Rapeseed oil 1 tbsp
Black onion seeds 1 tsp
Caraway seeds 1 tsp
Medium onion 1, diced
Garlic 1 tsp, crushed
Carrots 300g, split lengthways and chopped into chunky triangles
Butternut squash 300g, peeled and chopped into 2.5cm cubes
Harissa 1 tsp
Paprika ½ tsp
Ras el hanout 1½ tsp
Plum tomatoes 400g, roughly chopped
Long grain rice
Micro coriander or freshly chopped coriander
- Drain the chickpeas and retain the liquid for later. Soak the drained chickpeas in cold water, removing as much husk as possible, then set aside.
- Heat the oil in the pan and add the seeds to toast, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sweat slowly until they start to colour.
- Add the carrot and squash to the pan and continue to cook until the vegetables begin to go translucent.
- In a dry pan, toast the spices, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spices to the vegetables and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and the chickpea water and bring to a boil.
- Add the chickpeas and simmer gently for an hour, then serve with the rice and coriander.