Fresh line-caught mackerel 2, spatch-cocked, refrigerated and removed half an hour before cooking
- Salted butter 250g, room temperature
- Tabasco 20ml
- Sweet paprika 2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper 2 tsp
- Curry powder 1 tsp
- English mustard powder 1 tsp
- Dijon mustard 1 tbsp
- Lilliput capers 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- For the Satan’s butter: place all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and bring together with a spatula. Roll the mixture into a log shape and wrap in clingfilm, then leave to set in the fridge.
- Heat the grill. Oil and season both sides of the fish and lay skin side up on a baking tray.
- Place the fish on the top shelf under the grill and cook on a reasonably high heat for 2–3 minutes. The skin should be toasty and blistered, and the flesh a blushed pink.
- While the fish is cooking, heat a tablespoon of the Satan’s butter in a small saucepan for a few minutes to cook the spices. Remove the fish from the grill and rest for a few minutes. Place onto individual plates and spoon over the butter. Serve with crisp green salad and bread.