You will need
Ground almonds 280g
Caster sugar 280g
Self raising flour 280g
Eggs 4, large
Almond extract 2 tsp
Caster sugar 2–3 tbsp
Rosewater 1 tsp
- Grease and line a loose bottom cake tin with greaseproof paper. Pre-heat oven to 160°C/gas 3.
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into roughly 2cm pieces and stew with 2–3 tbsp of caster sugar to sweeten, keeping the pieces whole. Cool and then add the rosewater.
- Place a layer of rhubarb onto the greaseproof paper.
- Put all the remaining ingredients in a food processor and blitz together and fork through the remaining rhubarb and add this to the mixture.
- Top the rhubarb in the tin with the cake mixture. Bake for 40–50 minutes.
- Leave to cool before removing from the tin, taking the greaseproof off carefully. Finish with a dust with icing sugar.
Chef’s tip: ‘Use two forks for spreading the mix over the rhubarb in the tin,’ says Michelle. ‘The cake can also be eaten warm and is delicious with Devon clotted cream or custard.’