You will need
Smoked cod roe 200g
Garlic 3 cloves
Light olive oil 150ml
Stale white bread 50g
Whole milk 50ml
Dijon mustard 20g
Lemon 1, juice of
Thick greek yoghurt 20g
- Gently poach or confit the garlic cloves in the oil with their skins on. Cook on a low heat for 1 hour until completely soft, then allow to cool.
- Take the cloves from the oil and remove the skins. Place the oil in the fridge for 30 minutes to cool further.
- Remove the skin from the cod roe.
- Soak the bread in the milk for 10-20 minutes, then squeeze to remove excess milk.
- In a food processor, blend the cod roe, bread, dijon mustard, garlic, lemon juice and yoghurt until smooth.
- With the food processor running, slowly add 200ml of the cold garlic oil, allowing it to fully incorporate.
- The dip should be smooth and thick. If it’s too thick, add some water. Too thin? Add more oil.
Chef’s tip: ‘Ask your fishmonger for the fat smoked cod roe to make sure the dip is not too salty, then serve as a pre dinner dip with flatbread,’ says Zack