- For the filling: heat the olive oil in a large pan and gently cook the shallot, ginger, garlic and chilli.
- Add the rice and cook gently, then gradually add the tomato puree, sherry and fish stock and simmer until completely absorbed and the rice is just cooked. Add the crab meat and cook on a low heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the coriander leaves, season to taste and then leave to cool. Refrigerate once cooled and leave to set.
- Mould the chilled risotto into even bite-size balls, approximately 30g each in weight.
- To crumb: set up 3 separate shallow trays – one for flour, one for the egg and milk mix, and one for the breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Roll the balls in the flour, ensuring that they are fully coated. Shake off the excess flour, then place into the egg mix, again ensuring the outside of the balls are fully coated. Then carefully place into the breadcrumbs and coat evenly. Place in the fridge to set.
- For the gremolata crème fraîche: mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and season.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 190°c in a deep fat fryer or a pan twice the size of the volume of oil.
- Carefully place the arancini into the hot oil and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain carefully on kitchen paper.
- Serve warm with the gremolata crème fraîche.
PAIR WITH Off shore Pilsner, a lager or golden ale
Find more recipes and beer pairings in Just Add Beer, the new cookbook from Sharp’s Brewery.